A home is one of the significant investments a person can make in their life, so it’s important to have homeowners insurance to protect that investment. But does homeowners insurance cover fire damage?
Homeowners insurance in Decatur, GA, and other parts of the country typically covers fire damage caused by external sources, like electrical, accidental, and wildfires.
We will discuss what homeowners insurance covers in the event of a fire and how you can file a claim if your home is damaged by fire.
The Most Common Homeowners Insurance Fire Coverage
1) Dwelling: This is the house and any structures attached to it, like a garage.
2) Other structures include fences, sheds, and detached garages that aren’t connected to your house.
3) Personal belongings: Your belongings are covered even if not in your home. For example, if a car is damaged in a fire, your homeowners’ insurance will cover it.
4) Loss of use: If your home is uninhabitable after a fire, your homeowners’ insurance will cover living expenses, like hotel bills and restaurant meals.
5) Medical payments: If someone is injured in a fire on your property, your homeowners’ insurance will cover their medical bills.
What Are Forms of Fire Damages Not Covered?
Some damages are just not going to be covered under any circumstances. These include:
The fire that was deliberately set – If you deliberately set fire to your home, or if the arsonist can prove that you were the one who set fire to the property, then your homeowners’ insurance policy will not cover the damages.
The fire is considered an “act of war” – If your home is damaged or destroyed due to an act of war, then your homeowners’ insurance policy will not cover the damages.
The fire is considered an “act of God” – If your home is damaged or destroyed. As a result of the act of God, then your homeowners’ insurance policy will not cover the damages. Examples of acts of God include hurricanes, earthquakes, and tornadoes.
Types of Fire Insurance
1) Standard Fire Insurance- It is the most common type of fire insurance. Standard fire insurance covers damage caused by fire, lightning, and explosion.
2) Extended Coverage Fire Insurance- As the name suggests, extended coverage fire insurance provides coverage for damages caused by events beyond fire, lightning, and explosion. This may include smoke damage, water damage from firefighters, and wind damage.
3) Comprehensive Fire Insurance- Comprehensive fire insurance is the most extensive type of fire insurance available. It not only covers damage caused by fire, lightning, and explosion but also provides coverage for various other perils, such as theft, vandalism, and windstorm damage.
What Documents Do You Need for Filing A Home Insurance Claim?
1) Police Report
2) Fire Damage Assessment Report
3) Photographs of the damaged property
4) Inventory of lost or damaged belongings
5) Receipts for temporary repairs
6) Additional Documentation (if needed)
For home insurance in Decatur, GA, contact Focus Insurance Group . Our team is here to help you understand your insurance policy and what it covers. Our insurance team is composed of experienced professionals who know the ins and outs of insurance policies.